Thank you for visiting WQA.org. We are making changes to improve our Web site. During this time, if you have difficulty navigating the site, please contact WQA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630 505 0160.
Why I Should Be Concerned?
Chlorine, in various forms, is added to water by many treatment plants at levels that have been shown not to be a health concern. The goal is to kill bacteria and other harmful organisms but, unfortunately, chlorine itself can lead to an undesirable taste and odor, along with damaging side effects in your body.
The most common complaints regarding chlorine use are an undesirable taste and odor. However, for those with allergies and sensitivity, chlorine can cause a variety of adverse reactions. When you shower, you could be inhaling chlorine –causing nasal and respiratory irritation and drying out your skin and hair. You may be taking in as much chlorine during a typical shower as you would normally ingest from six eight-ounce glasses of chlorinated water – possibly even more. Furthermore, chlorine reacts with other compounds creating disinfection byproducts that can be harmful to humans.
Finding Chlorine in My Water
The easiest way to determine if you have chlorine in your water is a simple sniff test. If you notice a chlorine or bleach odor – which is very pungent – you probably have chlorine in your water.
There are several options to test for chlorine in drinking water. You can:
WQA recommends activated carbon for treating chlorine. You can choose from numerous tested and certified water treatment products available to reduce chlorine in drinking water. To find options, explore WQA certified products or find a local professional who will take you through the steps to treat your water.
Email to a Friend