In addition to monitoring legislation at the federal level, WQA stays on top of legislation being considered in various states across the country. The Regional & State Government Affairs Committee:
• Deciphers confusing state legislation, and provides guidance for the membership. For example, Government Affairs efforts passed legislation to create a specialty license in Colorado. Additionally, the Regulatory Info Search Database houses current legislation and regulations.
• Provides recommendations on the association’s advocacy agenda. Specific recommendations have included WQA participate on regional & state coalitions, partner with other organizations, and target specific states and state agencies.
• Keeps membership informed on proposed state legislation and regulations. Provides monthly updates and Year-end reviews of the governmental landscape.
Watch a video replay of the Joint Federal & State and Regional Government Affairs Committee meeting held online during the 2020 Mid-Year Leadership Conference. Watch here (requires Member log-in).
- Manage the efforts of WQA with respect to any legislative or regulatory matters that impact the industry
- Coordinate with the Water Science Committee with respect to the development of standards and with respect to the development of WQA positions on issues that required scientific input
- Provide semi-annual reports to the Board of Governors
What We Are Looking For:
- WQA member individuals representing all categories (e.g. manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, allied) and sectors (residential, commercial, industrial)
- Passion for governmental advocacy with a willingness to participate in legislative outreach events
- Experience addressing local and state regulatory issues and reviewing draft legislation or rules, but not required
- General knowledge of technical issues affecting our industry
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Relationship building - meeting with government officials and joining coalitions
Frequency of Meetings:
- In Person Meetings: WQA Convention & Exposition, WQA Mid-Year Leadership Conference
- Conference Call: as needed
Staff Liaison: Global Government Affairs Director David Loveday
The annual Call for Volunteers will open in January 2022.