CHINA TARIFFS ISSUE
On August 14, 2017, the President instructed the US Trade Representative's Office to investigate action of the Government of China under section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.
The office of US Trade Representative (USTR) prepared a comprehensive report on the acts, policies, and practices under investigation. This report was posted on March 22, 2018.
The USTR is considering imposing tariffs on certain products imported from China. In the proposed recommendations, water treatment devices have been identified along with chemicals, plastics and other possible components of water treatment equipment. (see “Office of US Trade Representative List of Targeted Imports from China” document under resources)
NO TARIFFS HAVE BEEN IMPOSED AT THIS TIME. THEY HAVE ONLY BEEN RECOMMENDATIONS.
After the US announced its list of proposed tariffs on China goods, China announced a list of goods it is proposing to increase tariffs on. (see “China Announcement of Additional Tariffs” document under resources)
During the US Trade Representative Office’s review of the US proposed list of products that may be affected, the public is invited to submit comments and attend a public hearing.
Call to Action:
The deadline to submit public comments for the Office of US Trade Representative (USTR) Hearing to discuss trade with China is May 11, 2018. A copy of WQA’s submitted letter is under Resources on this webpage.
Submit a Comment
Docket ID: USTR-2018-0005
Note: Please send a copy of the submitted letter to WQA Director of Government Affairs, David Loveday, at email@example.com.
- April 20, 2018: Conference call with Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for China and Mongolia to discuss challenges for doing business in and with China
- April 26, 2018: Conference call with WQA stakeholders to review industry response to proposed tariffs
- May 11, 2018: Due date for submission of written comments (send a copy of comments to WQA at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- May 15, 2018: Public hearing in the main hearing room of the US International Trade Commission, 500 E Street SW Washington, DC beginning at 10:00am (WQA plans on attending the public hearing)
- May 22, 2018: Due date for submission of post-hearing rebuttal comments
- Week of June 4: Have a conference call with stakeholders to review the May 15 hearing (Meeting to be scheduled)
WQA Letter Submitted for Section 301 Committee Public Hearing (Download PDF)
Office of US Trade Representative List of Targeted Imports from China (Download PDF)
China Announcement of Additional Tariffs (Download PDF)
Template Tariff Letter for WQA Members to House(Download Template)
Template Tariff Letter for WQA Members to Senate(Download Template)