News Releases

WQA offers professional certification amnesty program
Reinstatement available to those with proof of past certification who pass a certification exam and meet other criteria

LISLE, Ill. (Oct. 30, 2019) The Water Quality Association is offering an amnesty program to formerly certified personnel still active in the field who would like to reinstate their certification. Those who lost their certification more than three years ago and meet certain criteria can retake one of the basic certification exams to reinstate.

“We know how valuable that professional certification can be to people in our industry, and we want to welcome back those who, for whatever reason, have let their certification lapse,” said Tanya Lubner, PhD, WQA’s Professional Certification and Training Director. “Professional Certification is a publicly recognized way of demonstrating a commitment to education and high professional standards.”

 To be eligible for reinstatement through testing, a professional must:

  • Provide proof of past WQA certification if the certification lapsed earlier than 2014
  • Provide proof of continuous active engagement in work relevant to the certification being pursued
  • Not have reinstated through testing more than once in the last eight years

 Formerly certified professionals can retake one of the basic exams: Certified Water Specialist (CWS), Certified Installer (CI), or Certified Water-Treatment Representative (CWR, formerly known as CSR), depending on their past certification title. Those who held the Master Water Specialist (or advanced certifications once known as CWS-V or -VI) are able to reinstate at the CWS level and then pursue a MWS under current requirements.

 Eligible candidates can review the exam scheduling information and study guides online. WQA members may use their complementary access to the online Knowledge Base to help prepare for the exams.

 More information is available from the amnesty program web page or by contacting WQA’s Professional Certification and Education program at or (630) 929-2508.